Need one-on-one English help? WhatsApp Admin NOW!

Excerpt 12: Fathers of Nations Sample Excerpts with Answers

Why don't you let me buy you a drink? It's time for my evening Martini anyway. So what's your poison?

 EXCERPT 12 Fathers of Nations Excerpts Questions

excerpt-12-fathers-of-nations-questions
Read the excerpt below and answer the questions that follow. (25 marks)

"That's a bad idea, Mr Longway. I'm a Gambian, Sir."

"All right, so you are a Gambian. Well, I am a South African. Now how has that helped advance world peace?"

"Sir, are you really a South African?"

"Yes, I am."

"This is the Gambia, Sir. Since the article you dropped looks valuable, you might never see it again, Sir. As a Gambian, I ought to know. Still, if you insist, I'll give it to the woman at the front desk."

"No, no, no. I've changed my mind. I'm coming down for it right away."

"That's a good idea, Mr Longway. You'll find me standing near the phone booths. 11m wearing white shoes and a red dress with white polka dots. You will not miss me, Sir. But if you do, I won't."     ()

"I'll be there in five minutes." He was there in three.

She spotted him first. "Sir, it's me you are looking for," she said.Mr Longway, I am Fiona McKenzie, the stranger who phoned you."

"Are you? You see, the picture I had formed Of you in my mind was not black at all. Wait. That did not come out right, did it? I meant on the phone you sounded Scottish, white anyway. Goodness, what am I saying? Forget it. I am Tad. Tad Longway."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Sir. I am Fiona. Fiona McKenzie "She handed him something." That's the article I was telling you about, Sir. "It was a key card to her office at the VOA.

He looked at it. Then he gave it back to her. "Not mine," he said. "The tag says VOA, and I have no ties with the VOA."

"Then I interrupted your shower for nothing. Yet I can swear I saw you drop this very key card, Mr Longway."

"Now, now, Ms McKenzie. Don't go burn yourself at the stake just for this, okay? In fact, since you've gone to all this trouble for my sake, why don't you let me buy you a drink? It's time for my evening Martini anyway. So what's your poison?"

She consulted her watch then shook her head. "It's late," she said. "Late? That must be a new drink."

Excerpt 12 questions on Fathers of Nations 

"All right, Mr Longway. Maybe a Coke, but I must be off soon."

a)      Place the excerpt in its immediate context. (5 marks)

b)      "That's a bad idea, Mr. Longway. "What was Fiona referring to as a bad idea? (2 marks)

c)      Identify and illustrate three styles used in this excerpt. (6 marks)

d)      Explain one instance of irony in this excerpt. (2 marks)

e)      Using information from elsewhere in the text, explain why Ms. Mckenzie sounded Scottish. (2 marks)

f)       How has Ms. Mckenzie been brought out in this excerpt?

g)      Join the following sentences into one. (begin: After...). (1 mark)

He looked at it. Then he gave it back to her.

h)      Who is Mr. Longway and why was Fiona so interested in meeting him? (3 marks) 

Excerpt 1 Questions Excerpt 1 Answers Excerpt 2 Questions Excerpt 2 Answers Excerpt 3 Questions Excerpt 3 Answers Excerpt 4 Questions Excerpt 4 answers Excerpt 5 Questions Excerpt 5 Answers Excerpt 6 Questions Excerpt 6 Answers Excerpt 7 Questions Excerpt 7 Answers Excerpt 8 Questions Excerpt 8 answers Excerpt 9 Questions Excerpt 9 Answers Excerpt 10 Questions Excerpt 10 Answers Excerpt 11 Questions Excerpt 11 Answers Excerpt 12 Questions Excerpt 12 answers Excerpt 13 Questions Excerpt 13 Answers Excerpt 14 Questions Excerpt 14 Answers Excerpt 15 Questions Excerpt 15 Answers Excerpt 16 Questions Excerpt 16 answers Excerpt 17 Questions Excerpt 17 Answers Excerpt 18 Questions Excerpt 18 Answers Excerpt 19 Questions Excerpt 19 Answers Excerpt 20 Questions Excerpt 20 answers Excerpt 21 Questions Excerpt 21 Answers

Post a Comment

Copyright ©Top English Notes - All rights reserved.

All Rights Reserved Top Englishnotes