For Online Tuition & Notes WhatsApp Admin NOW!

Etiquette: Polite Interruption and other Turn-Taking Phrases

Polite Interruption and other Turn-Taking Phrases
polite-interruption-and-turn-taking

Turn-taking is part of the oral skills that are taught in the English syllabus. Turn-taking is achieved by using specific phrases and cues. Polite interruption is one of the key skills in turn-taking.

Politely interrupting

In conversations, interruption is highly discouraged. However, certain situations make a listener absolutely need to interrupt the speaker. Such interruptions include; when a listener needs clarification, where there is a need to correct information being given by the speaker, when the listener needs to raise an objection or when the speaker has to make an urgent notification to the speaker.

Phrases for politely interrupting are

  • Before I forget it...
  • Can I add something, please?
  • Excuse me, may I put in that...
  • Excuse me...
  • I am afraid to stop you there...
  • I don’t like to interrupt but...
  • I will let you finish in a minute...
  • I wouldn’t usually interrupt but ...
  • I’m sorry to interrupt but
  • If I may...
  • Just s moment, please...
  • Let me...
  • May I add something in there...
  • May I interrupt...?
  • Sorry for the interruption but...

Phrases to use after accidentally interrupting someone who is actively speaking:

  • I’m sorry, proceed, please...
  • I’m sorry, go ahead...
  • Sorry, after you...
  • Sorry, you were saying that...

 

Phrases to use when interrupted:

  • I’m afraid, you didn’t let me finish...
  • Could I finish what I was saying...
  • Please, bear with me, I hadn’t finished...

Phrases to use when asking for an opinion:

  • Do you agree?
  • How do you feel about...?
  • Let’s hear your idea...
  • What’s your take on this?
  • What are your thoughts?
  • What do you think?
  • Wouldn’t you say...?

Phrases to use when stating an opinion:

  • According to...
  • As far as I am concerned...
  • If you ask me...
  • In my opinion...
  • My proposition is that...

Phrases to use when expressing an agreement:

  • I agree with you...
  • I suppose so...
  • I have to side with... on this
  • That’s how I also feel
  • I’m afraid I agree with
  • That’s true...
  • You have a point there...
  • You are right...

Phrases to use when settling an argument:

  • At this point, I think we have to agree to disagree...
  • Shall we move on now?
  • I understand...
To Access the next article on Etiquette: Turn-Taking Skills 

Need help with essays, set books, oral literature and other tricky topics? 📚✨

Post a Comment

Copyright ©Top English Notes - All rights reserved.

All Rights Reserved Top Englishnotes